• Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Number of full time maintenance persons for an Apartment Community (ratio)

Number of full time maintenance persons for an Apartment Community (ratio) 4 months 2 weeks ago #23011

Hello. We can use some assistance. We have approx 200 apartments located close to each other, distance wise. Our apartments are approx 7 years old.

Based on your experience, what's the typical number of apartments needed for one full time maintenance person ?

Number of full time maintenance persons for an Apartment Community (ratio) 4 months 1 week ago #23012

I often hear 1 maintenance staff member for every 100 units. But I don't know if that's actually normal or not. I'm curious in other people's answers.

Number of full time maintenance persons for an Apartment Community (ratio) 4 months 1 week ago #23045

I've heard the same thing, but would like to know what others do. However, I don't include my HVAC tech in the numbers.
  • EJ Hoff
  • EJ Hoff's Avatar

Number of full time maintenance persons for an Apartment Community (ratio) 4 months 1 week ago #23136

Hey Guys - we have a staffing research report we put out every year which should help: www.multifamilyinsiders.com/apartment-fo...fing-research-report
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Dodds

Number of full time maintenance persons for an Apartment Community (ratio) 1 week 5 days ago #25828

It depends on the age of the property. Less than 5 years old you can get away with 1 per 100 easily, as the property ages and R&M increases, you might need to revisit. Your use of outside vendors also plays a factor in it.

I have 900 units in one town that are spit 60%-40% and are about a 5 minute drive apart. They are staffed 1 per 100, the smaller property is still in lease-up and the other is 10+ years old. The staff from the lease-up help out the older property more often than not, as the lease-up ages I know I'll have to add at least 1 Tech to the team to handle the R&M. We also rely on out-side vendors for 75% of the turn process.

Without vendors I'd be at 1.5 to 1.75 techs per 100.

Number of full time maintenance persons for an Apartment Community (ratio) 6 days 8 hours ago #25907

Vince,

We've found the 1:100 ratio to be realistic. But of course each situation is a bit different. Our properties are still less than 10 years old, and our techs do not paint, but they do take acre of all appliance repairs. They do about 40% of HVAC repairs, and accompany a contractor on the other 60%. We're in an urban setting, so the techs do very few exterior tasks.
  • Matt Clark
  • Matt Clark's Avatar
  • Posts: 39
  • Thank you received: 11
  • Karma: 6
  • Page:
  • 1

Multifamily Discussions

More Topics »