Topic: I have a resident that has requested a handicap parking sign in front of her apartment.

Stacey Hunt's Avatar Topic Author
Stacey Hunt
I have a resident that has requested a handicap parking sign in front of her apartment. The parking spot would not meet any requirements other than placing a sign there. I have been researching trying to see if i can even do it but am still uncertain. Does anyone have any past experiences with this and how did you handle it?
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Shelly Griggs's Avatar Topic Author
Shelly Griggs
I have done this but you can’t designate it her spot - anyone with a handicap insignia can park there. Just make sure they understand that.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Steve Jenkins's Avatar Topic Author
Steve Jenkins
Best to contact your legal department
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Crystal Garland Hollinger's Avatar Topic Author
Crystal Garland Hollinger
Make it a reserved space if she is requesting an accommodation, not a handicap space.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Josué Adam's Avatar Topic Author
Josué Adam
Check with your city parking management. Typically there is specific requirements for a ADA parking space. The resident would then be responsible for any costs that aren't reasonable in order to make that space ADA access. For example, if you have to remove a curb and add a walkway, resident would be financially responsible for those modifications.

Also keep all those requests with the city in writing, just in the event the resident tries to sue you for discrimination. I'm sure you know already, but just a reminder keep that paper trail.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Shannon Mangum Knight's Avatar Topic Author
Shannon Mangum Knight
Why not just give her a reserved parking spot in front of the building?
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Stacey Hunt's Avatar Topic Author
Stacey Hunt
I may look into that. My only issue is I manage a 50 unit senior citizen community so I think it would turn into an issue where everyone would then be wanting a reserved spot.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Debbie Haskell's Avatar Topic Author
Debbie Haskell
That is shark infested waters you are in my friend. Seniors talk to each other. They will all come in with Dr notes requiring special parking. As long as you have the required amount of handicap parking, you can deny the reasonable accommodation as it may turn into a mess of assigned spots and then they will complain the spot they are assigned to is too far etc. Some reasonable accommodations are not reasonable in some circumstances. I have had this request too at 55+ community and we do not make the accommodation for parking.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Amy Sexton Horsley's Avatar Topic Author
Amy Sexton Horsley
No no no. Handicap spaces can never be assigned. She can have a closer assigned spot as a reasonable accommodation.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Jon E Directo's Avatar Topic Author
Jon E Directo
Just put a reserved parking sign and ask them to display their placard while parked there.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Chris Finetto's Avatar Topic Author
Chris Finetto
Find something other than “handicapped”

“Disabled Resident Parking” “Reserved”

If a handicapped person, other than the resident parks in that spot, and the spot is non-compliant you could be subject to a fine or penalty.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Chris Dembitz's Avatar Topic Author
Chris Dembitz
If you designate a handicapped space, then anyone with a placard can park there and she would have no recourse. And you would also need ot meet all ADA requirements for the space, including space width and striped out space on the side for ramp/lift access. Along with any curb cuts and ramps to get to the sidewalk. I'I would not advise designating a space as handicapped-reserved if it does not meet the ADA requirements. That may not end well for your company.

I would just give her a reserved space and with signage that says towing enforced or something like that.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Lisa Russell's Avatar Topic Author
Lisa Russell
Best way to handle...put a Reserved space sign #1 in front of her unit. I did one in front of every building. If handicap and requested then they are free, or I rent them for $25 per mth.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Joe Jefferson's Avatar Topic Author
Joe Jefferson
If the space doesn’t meet the requirements of a legal disabled parking spot, it’s worthless. Anyone can park there and you can’t do anything about it. In FL, they look for signs, lines and fines. Meaning the correct handicap sign must be installed, along with the fine penalty sign, and the blue lines. This allows you to call the police to ticket offenders, or have the vehicle towed. Without them, you have no recourse. I do think once you do either a reserved spot, or install a proper handicap spot, all your residents will come out of the wood work wanting one. I think a legal handicap spot is your best bet, because not everyone can get the handicap designation. Anyone can get a Dr’s letter saying they need a shorter walk to their apartment.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Deb Warren's Avatar Topic Author
Deb Warren
So even if you modified that area to make it ADA compliant- anyone with a handicapped placard can park there. You can not reserve handicapped spots. I would consider assigning them a reserved spot if there isn’t a need for any modifications. If there are mods needed- it’s in their dime and they have to understand that anyone with a placard can park there.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Joe Mendez's Avatar Topic Author
Joe Mendez
You can put in the handicap sign if that’s not hats requested but she needs to understand it’s for anyone with. A handicap sticker
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Jacqui Nielsen Stewart's Avatar Topic Author
Jacqui Nielsen Stewart
With our community, because we are on what's considered private land, we can put up regular handicapped signs, but if a resident asks for their own assigned spot, we do that. We have them fill out a reasonable accommodation form, send it to their doctor to say yes/no they need it (without details). Then put up another sign with the residents placard number so people know it's assigned to someone specific. If we were considered to be on public land, we could only have the blue signs that anyone with a handicap placard/plate can park at.

Now, if someone parks in the assigned spot, the police do not handle it because it's private land. We are responsible for enforcing the spot assignments.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
You can put up another handicap sign but the issue is that still doesn't guarantee that she'll be the one to park there. Instead, if she's requesting a reasonable modification, you could make this spot reserved for her only. Just a thought.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Kathy Gifford Vance's Avatar Topic Author
Kathy Gifford Vance
If you do not have an accessibility expert within your company, contact an attorney who is familiar with these practices. Whatever decision you make may be setting a precedent for other requests. You need to be sure you have examined all rights of the resident and legal implications.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Tony Leon's Avatar Topic Author
Tony Leon
Call Code Enforcement in your city.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Marilyn Stober Harris's Avatar Topic Author
Marilyn Stober Harris
I had this happen once…no. The answer is no. If you do it for one, then you have just opened the flood gates. If they are truly handicapped, the space must meet certain requirements under the Section 504 and ADA. If the spot does not meet those requirements you open yourself up to legal actions. Do NOT do this!
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Anne Sadovsky's Avatar Topic Author
Anne Sadovsky
When your property was built, your city likely dictated a certain number of handicapped spaces. Those have nothing to do with your renter's request. She is asking for a 'reserved space' and it should not be the blue handicapped sign. Use a different color, no wheelchair symbol, add a permit number. (not apartment number or name) Using a standard handicapped sign allows anyone with a handicap/disability permit to park there. If she indeed has a disability, you are required to provide a reserved space.
Check with your city, state, housing authority...sadly the advice you get from well meaning people can get you sued.
We feel for the smaller properties, especially for seniors, who have very limited parking. Yes, you could end up with all reserved parking. Yes, if you CANNOT see the disability, if it isn't obvious, you can request a health care provider's document. Do not ask the nature of the disability, just verify that she has one.
Posted 1 year 4 months ago
Dianna Warner's Avatar Topic Author
Dianna Warner
This is the best and Legal answer to the question. I'm in the process of arguing with my Public Housing Authority/PHA because I made this Reasonable accommodation request for a RESERVED Assigned accessible Handicap parking spot and provided a Doctor's prescription for a Reserved Spot and they refuse to give me a Reserved Handicap parking spot specifically for me and not on a first come first serve basis for anyone else to park there if they have a valid Handicap Placard.
Therefore, they are not compliant with my Reasonable accommodation request.
The spot has to be specifically for me and has to be other Signage different from the other Handicap parking spot and have a Reserved posted sign for me and be enforced by the police by posting another sign for Violaters whom park in this Reserved Spot.
Posted 4 months 1 week ago