Successful companies all have one thing in common: hard-working, efficient employees. While you won’t always be able to determine which workers will fit best in their roles in your company, choosing the right screening service can help weed out undesirable candidates based on the criteria that matter to you and to the success of your business. By avoiding these common mistakes, you can help ensure that you are hiring the best candidates for your company’s individual needs and that you are protecting yourself from litigation and pointless spending. Remember, good employees can make the difference between a good and a great company, and finding the perfect candidate should be a top priority for business owners and hiring managers.
- Choosing a Screening Process Without Proper Research
- Running a business involves many moving parts, which means that certain aspects can be overlooked, even by the most thorough business owners. Because all screening services are not created equally, one of the biggest mistakes you can make is not doing the proper research before choosing a screening service. You’ll want to choose a service that meets your short-term and long-term screening demands, and that facilitates your company’s individual needs rather than the common needs of most companies.
- Failing to Abide by the Law
- All US companies must abide by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, but not all third-party services adhere to the FCRA when compiling data for their screening services. If you choose a service that is not FCRAcompliant, you open yourself up to legal action, which can cause statutory damage, punitive damage, actual damage, and legal fees. While these services may offer enticing prices, the long-term financial consequences outweigh the benefits of short-term savings.
- Many screening companies offer a one-size-fits-all screening service that values the typical company rather than your company’s individual needs. This can cause you to pay for services you don’t want or need, and can prevent you from utilizing the services that make the most sense for your company. Choose a screening service that adjusts to your needs at a reasonable price.
Running a business and hiring people can be challenging, but you can make things easier on yourself by avoiding these common mistakes. Doing so can save you time, money, and can help maintain your reputation. Only you know what you need, and you are responsible for making sure you’re getting it. Make sure your employment screening service serves you.