When you get questions that you can’t answer, or answer incorrectly, you are setting yourself up for fair housing complaints. And yes, you can personally be named party to complaints and lawsuits. Your service techs can also be part of complaints filed. We often think that fair housing is simply common sense. However, staying on top of different rulings and remaining educated can save you and your owner/management company from paying big dollars for not having correct answers to questions. For example:
- I know that you don’t allow bull dogs as pets, but can I have my pit bull as my companion animal?
- I am blind. How do I meet the requirements to pick up after my dog?
- I have been in prison. Will you lease me an apartment?
- Do I have to print all my documents in different languages?
- Who is responsible for translating if the prospective resident doesn’t speak English?
- Can I evict a resident who keeps calling 911 because of her abusive ex-spouse?
- Residents are complaining about the smell of marijuana smoke coming one particular apartment. We have asked the pot smoker about it, and he denies it. What should we do?
- The maintenance tech found a marijuana plant growing in a resident’s apartment. It’s just one little plant. Can we just ignore it?
- A female resident says that one of our employees patted her on her bottom. He says they always hug when they say hello and she usually initiates the hug. Do we have a problem?
Join Anne Sadovsky and the Webinar Wednesday Team on a special recorded broadcast to avoid getting sued!
Who should watch:
On Site Team Members, Regional Managers, Small Owners, Management Company Executives, Training Directors, Marketing Directors
About Anne Sadovsky:
Anne Sadovsky is a speaker and consultant and has been active in many apartment associations at national and state levels since 1968. She is based in Dallas. She has been honored with Legends Awards from Multifamily Pro and the Apartment Association of Greater Dallas. Anne is a former V P for Lincoln Property Company and began her speaking and consulting career in 1981.
For over 40 years, our clients have relied upon The Liberty Group to take the hassle out of talent acquisition. Typical areas are greeter, concierge, leasing, marketing, assistant manager, bookkeeper, property manager, porter, make-ready technician, service technician, lead supervisor, HVAC technician and more. Our Temporary Staffing services provide experienced, professional temporary support, when and where you need it.
Now in its fourth decade, Yardi® offers a complete real estate management solution with the Yardi Voyager® platform. Stacked with the Yardi Multifamily Suite™, Yardi Marketing Suite™ and Yardi Orion™ Business Intelligence, it includes marketing, operations, accounting and ancillary processes and services with portfolio-wide business intelligence and platform-wide mobility.
* Each registration is good for one attendee OR one on-site team. If you would like multiple attendees, group viewing events, or other needs, please contact us.