Position Title: Tax Credit Property Manager
Downtown Des Moines
Department: Hubbell Apartment Living
Reports to: Regional Manager
Summary of Functions
Responsible for the overall performance including operations, profitability, quality customer service, occupancy, appearance, marketing, program compliance and resident relations of the assigned properties.
Basic schedule includes, but is not limited to, coverage of office from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and potentially available for scheduled appointments weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for leasing, marketing, resident relations, administrative accuracy of files, ensuring they are complete, accurate, and program compliant.
· Processes new applications in accordance with rental criteria, SafeRent ratings, and fair housing laws. Applications must comply with IFA guidelines and any other compliance program in place for property.
· Reviews and approves all documents used on site and ensures that they are in compliance.
· Handles telephone and email inquiries immediately or within one business day. Maintains traffic records. Fills out guest cards and maintains complete records including waiting lists.
2. Responsible for IFA, Section 42 and any other program compliance including by example, certifying and recertifying tax credit residents, adhering to all government codes and regulations (i.e., Next Available Unit Rule, and Vacancy Rule), audit preparation and response, and tax credit award viability.
· Recertification process must begin 90 days prior to lease expiration or certification period expiration, whichever is sooner.
· Coordinate resident functions per IFA Supportive Service Requirements. Documents events with flyers and sign in sheets and maintains records for audit
3. Supervises maintenance work orders, make-ready and ensures turnovers are complete within five days of vacancy.
· Inspects property daily and makes maintenance lists as needed.
· Negotiates with vendors to achieve best pricing, competitively bids work not less than annually.
4. Responsible for the annual preparation of budgets for apartments.
· Ensures profitable operation of properties including DSCR.
· Budgets must meet lender requirements, investor requirements, and IFA guidelines.
· Reports monthly on variances and operates properties within annual budget parameters.
· Collects rent, sends notices per policy, prepares legal documents, and attends court as needed.
· Obtains purchase orders per department policy.
· Posts all receipts daily and makes deposits before 2:00 pm on the date received.
· Charges all appropriate fees when and as required.
5. Maintains resident relations and ensures that residents understand their responsibilities for the community. Handles resident complaints when they arise and per lease provisions.
6. If applicable, updates parking access and keeps accurate reports in Boston Post and security software.
7. Updates building access codes and keeps accurate records.
8. Submits reports when due and in complete and accurate form.
9. Conducts monthly market surveys and makes leasing recommendations based on survey, traffic, and rental/market information.
10. Retains current marketing materials current including flyers, floor plans, Apartments.com, ApartmentFinder, and any other approved marketing medium for the properties.
11. Plans, promotes and implements effective resident retention program.
· Communicates with residents through monthly newsletters, monthly communication activities, regular resident recognition, follows up on service requests and continual promotion of resident services.
· Performs effective apartment inspections of each occupied unit every six months from lease commencement date including unit visits with each renewal lease.
· Associate's degree in business or certification as a resident manager (ARM, CAM, etc.) required
· Minimum five years' Section 42 tax credit apartment management or related business experience required
· Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel) required.
· Ability to supervise others with ability to communicate effectively.
· Bookkeeping experience.
· Must be assertive, well organized, and safety conscious
· Preference for detail work required with ability to work well under pressure.
· Ability to develop a team and be a team leader.
· Must be able to be "on call" 24/7.
· Physical Requirements: Extensive mobility and good physical condition. Must be able to perform the physical functions of the position, which may include, but are not limited to: ability to walk property, including four flights of stairs, to complete physical inspections, deliver resident communications, and show apartments. Be able to effectively communicate with residents, staff, supervisors, vendors, etc. Must be able to lift a minimum of 60 lbs. to facilitate vacuuming, moving office furniture and lifting of supplies.
· Dress Code: Corporate business attire required Monday through Friday. No jeans, t-shirt, lycra, tennis-shoes, hiking boots, jogging suits, flip-flops, halter tops, capris, casual attire or tattered looking clothing area permitted at any time. Good judgment is expected.
· Must have a reliable vehicle to perform various management tasks and errands, including daily bank deposits. Must have proof of liability insurance for same. Must possess a valid driver's license and must be bondable.
· Must be a commissioned Notary Public in the State of Iowa or able to become a Notary within 30 days of hire date.
· Pre-Employment Test Scores: Successfully complete pre-employment screening tests. Pass background check and/or credit check.